Cottage Watch is a partnership for cottage safety
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), the Federation of Ontario Cottage Associations (FOCA) and local cottage associations such as ours have grouped together to provide a crime prevention program with three main components:
- Target hardening
- Community patrols
- Police teams
What is Cottage Watch? A community crime prevention program that:
- promotes cottage safety and security
- develops a partnership involving the police, your association and corporate sponsors.
How Does Cottage Watch Work? As a member of the cottage community, you become a partner by simply reporting suspicious persons or activities to the police. You are encouraged to:
- record license plate numbers and descriptions of any suspicious vehicles in your neighbourhood.
- watch for strangers in your neighbourhood.
- watch for persons taking “shortcuts” through your property.
- watch for vehicles making repeat visits through your neighbourhood.